Thursday, March 18, 2010

A pregnancy vent...

I realize that once I became pregnant I would gain weight. That is a no-brainer. There is nothing anyone can do about this. And if someone could do something about it there would be many more babies born under nourished...and we really shouldn't want that. I DON'T want that. I want our baby boy to be born as healthy as can be.

Anyway, why is it that people in general feel that it is okay to make comments about your weight when you are pregnant? Would they make those same comments to you if you were not pregnant? Probably not. It can still be hurtful whether or not there is a baby growing inside of you.

The reason for this vent is that between Saturday and Tuesday I received at least one comment per day about my weight from various people.

Now, I feel that during this pregnancy I've remained pretty level-headed (I admit that I've had my moments...but they've been rare and not that bad), but the volume of comments in a short amount of time has made me feel a little more self-conscious about how I look and how I feel.

The first from this past weekend was someone telling me that a handful of people have come up to her asking if I was carrying twins. No, I am not, but thank you for making me feel bigger than I thought I was.

Another comment was from someone closer to me about how she saw someone who is due the same day as me with her second child and that I am bigger than she is. Typically you are bigger with your second child, so this makes me think that when we are blessed with baby #2 I will be as big as the house. Granted our house isn't that big, but it's still a house.

Someone else made a comment about how my face has filled out. Yes, I've noticed that as well. This is why I don't like many pictures of myself lately, because I don't look the same. I've been told that it goes away after the baby is born, but according to some this is only if you "work hard at it". So, thank you for taking away the dream that I'll ever look good again. This should help decrease the risk that I'll go through postpartum depression.

I apologize that this post has been bit of a downer (and a bit sarcastic), but it's been on my mind and I wanted to get it off of my chest.

I still have the hope that I will be able to get back down to my pre-pregnancy weight (and hopefully even lower than that), but I'm also aware that it's going to take some time and some work from me. That is OKAY. Hopefully we are blessed with a healthy, bouncy baby boy. And him and I will spend our summer getting to know one another and taking advantage of the summer months by taking long walks in the parks.

So, even though I've been a little down on myself about this the last few days I know that pregnancy is only temporary, and so is the weight gain.

2 comments:

Carin said...

: ( I'm sorry. I'm not concerned about your weight...just your swollen legs. I love you!!

The J&M W's said...

Thanks Carin! I love you, too!