Thursday, July 29, 2010

First night alone...

John had to leave town for business, so it's just Henry and I last night and tonight. I wasn't too worried about being alone with Henry, we know the drill by now. Eat and bathe around 8-9 at night, then swaddled to lay on mom & dad's bed to fall asleep. After falling asleep, lifted to bassinet to sleep until the first middle of the night feeding.

After his bath last night I stuck with the routine and it took him about 30 minutes to drift off to sleep. No problem there, as it used to take him a lot longer to go to sleep. I'm in bed by 10, after talking to John briefly. 12:30 am the little one wakes up for his first feeding of the night. It's a little sooner than normal (usually between 1 and 2), but that's okay I'm not going to complain. After his feeding he was a little fussy, so I attempted a few things to calm him down (patting his back to get a burp out of him, swaddling him, pacifier...). Nothing seemed to work, so I decided that he didn't get enough to eat so back to nursing he went. When he was done he was still fussy. This is usually when I pass him to John while I drift back to sleep, but when I look to John's side of the bed no one is there. Damn.

So, I try swaddling him again, and then re-swaddling him because he's a little Houdini who breaks out of the swaddle...this goes on a few more times. The pacifier doesn't work, holding him doesn't work, trying to burp him doesn't work. I get a better look at him with the light of the humidifier and this little guy is WIDE awake. Eyes are wide open surveying the room. The lights are still off, so I'm not sure what he's looking at, but he is very alert. So, I lay him on the bed in his swaddle hoping that he'll fall asleep on his own. NOPE! I'm laying on the bed watching him and he is staring at me. Bright eyed and bushy tailed!

At this point I'm tempted to call John, not that he can do anything, but misery loves company right?! Well, I don't actually call him but I am swearing in my head that he won't be going on that 5 day fishing trip to Canada next month.

So, two hours after Henry wakes up for his first feeding he FINALLY falls asleep. Woo-hoo! Momma needs her sleep, too.

3:15...FORTY FIVE MINUTES LATER, guess who wakes up again?! Yep, it's time for another feeding. Are you kidding me?! I'm hoping that this feeding goes better than the last one and that I'm not up for another two hours. Thankfully it does, and I'm back to bed around 3:30.

Six o'clock rolls around and he's up again for another feeding. Even though I didn't get much rest last night, I am less stressed and will probably still allow John to go on his fishing trip. After all, John's sister is turning 40 next year and I hear that an all-inclusive vacation is in the works to celebrate...I may just have to go there myself!

No comments: